If you follow me on Twitter, you’ve likely noticed that I have a wee (read: massive) crush on one Mr. Frank Turner, a British artist who is equal parts folk and punk and whom I like to refer to as “My Boyfriend Frank Turner.” And while this does, at times, make some people feel a little #awkward, I’m comfortable with that as long as you are.
Just trust me on this one and spend some time listening to Frank Turner while I list the reasons he is worthy of my affection as well as some of your attention and dollars.
1) I have an entirely humiliating but not-at-all-secret love for ABBA, especially “Dancing Queen”. Frank Turner covers “Dancing Queen.”
2) He recently Tweeted that Craig Finn saves his life everyday.
3) While this directly contradicts my friends The Roadside Graves, he wants us all to “Live Fast, Die Old.”
4) He covers Bruce Springsteen while hanging out with Ben Nichols.
5) As he was described by an audience member outside the show I saw this fall in Portland, “He’s like Joe Strummer crossed with Billy Bragg.”
6) He is not not cute.
7) In introducing his new song “I Still Believe,” he says: “I’m not a religious person, but I do believe in guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, 3-minute songs, Elvis Presley, Bruce Fucking Springsteen,The Hold Steady and rock n roll.”
8) He manages to balance joy and anger in songs that are ultimately life-affirming, reminding us that “after all, something as simple as rock and roll will save us all.”
And my personal favorite -Frank Turner Fuck Yeah